Young Women Leadership on Climate Adaptation – Online Executive Training
The Young Women Leadership on Climate Adaptation Online Executive Training is a virtual educational and capacity-building program that fosters the leadership of African young women to induce and realize sustainable solutions that build resilience to the changing climate by:
- fostering knowledge on climate adaptation
- elevating leadership skills
- connecting professional networks
Key Facts about the Online Executive Training:
- 20-weeks part-time training program (Previously conducted from October 2021 to March 2022, and ongoing from May to October 2023)
- Hosted fully virtually on an exclusive online learning platform
- Blended learning approach combining synchronous learning via live sessions via Zoom and asynchronous learning (through videos, audio recordings, text resources, links, quizzes and assignments, etc.)
- FREE course open to women (20-35 years old) from select African countries. The 2023 training has participants from Cameroon, Ethiopia, Malawi, Morocco, Namibia, and Senegal. In 2021, the training welcomed young women leaders from Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Zimbabwe.
- Competitive application process
What are the contents?
- Core Knowledge about Gender-Sensitive Climate Adaptation
- Leadership Capacity-Building
- Project Management Coaching
- Networking and Career Guidance
What will be asked of you?
- Be present in 65% of live webinar sessions (90-120 minutes, 1-2 times a week; weekdays; afternoon) and be able to commit the equivalent of 2 days a month for the course duration
- Demonstrate diligence in completing assignments on time and active participation in the live sessions and peer-to-peer review tasks
- Newly or further develop a project that integrates climate adaptation and attends to gender-related implications of climate adaptation
By the end of this training, you will…
…understand the global and local effects of climate change are, know what climate adaptation is and how it is implemented in gender-sensitive ways.
…have developed an advanced skills set for confident and effective leadership.
…have gained the knowledge and confidence to effectively communicate about and advocate for climate adaptation.
…know how to plan and propose gender-sensitive adaptation projects.
…have gained confidence in pursuing a career in the climate adaptation sector.
…have expanded your professional network with other young changemakers and adaptation experts.
Who can apply?
- Women from selected African countries (TBA)
- Age group 20-35
- Academic requirements: Bachelor’s degree and higher
In addition, applicants should:
- Be passionate about climate action and have basic knowledge of climate change.
- Demonstrate leadership experience in their personal or professional capacities
- Be involved in a project that is integrating climate adaptation or where there is a need to integrate this theme. Alternatively, applicants should be aware of a community challenge where climate adaptation should be integrated.
- Have an advanced understanding of/be able to communicate proficiently in English.
- Have access to reliable enough internet in order to complete the course.
How to apply?
Details will be provided when the next application period begins.
Our Work Fostering Women Leadership on Climate Adaptation
Women’s leadership at community and political levels, results in greater adaptive capability and responsiveness to climate-related threats. Yet, women’s unequal participation in decision-making processes and labor markets compound inequalities and often prevent women from fully contributing to climate-related planning, policy-making, and implementation. Tackling this discrepancy becomes even more urgent on the African continent, where climate change is having a growing impact, hitting the most vulnerable hardest. The training leverages the fact that investing in women creates a ripple effect that yields multiple benefits for effective climate adaptation, not only for individual women, but also for families, communities, and countries.
The Online Executive Training will, therefore, also
- Create a global hub of young women leaders and changemakers, who have the capacity to transform the lives of thousands of people by elevating resilience to climate change across regions, genders, sectors, and generations.
- Build capacity for the integration of a gender-lens to climate adaptation strategies that will subsequently lead to more comprehensive adaptation efforts securing a sustainable future, leaving no one behind.